Monday, November 9, 2009

Tough shell


It seems I had, or even still have, an affinity towards wearing armor. At least that's what I guess after discovering another of my alltime favourite games: Looking Glass' Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri (1996)
Sadly, it wasn't a success back then, even though it was critically approved, had great gameplay and for that time stunning 3D graphics that boasted a never before seen viewing distance. Every hill on screen could actually be reached in game.
It also had many features that are now standard in tactical games, like open maps that allow multiple tactical approaches and freeaim.
The setting has also quite a twist to it: you're Nikola Ap Io, Squadleader of the newly formed Strike Force Centauri, and it's your job to defend the colonies of the Centauri System against pirates and against the dystopian Earth Hegemony.
The story is beautiflly detailed and told in personal e-mails, news and videos with real actors. It also features a vast library of in-game lore. In fact, there is more background story than in most modern triple A RPG titles.
I find it actually quite sad that nowadays game universes are all pretty limited to the actual game's story. Even last time's Crusader came with extensive background literature. Not only do these things make a good reading while you can't actually play, for example because you use the lavatories, but they add to the immersion into the game world.

In other news: It's my birthday today, so if you have loads of spare cash, you might gift me some games on Steam, as I'm quite low on cash to get them for myself at the moment... Here's my Steam Community Page. Just add me to your friendslist anyway.
My whishlist:

And there's still the weekend sale for Mass Effect

No comments: